The summer season is officially open, with picnics, concerts, and many other outdoor activities. When the weather is so nice, there is nothing more pleasant than relaxing in nature. So we take a bike, a good book, a blanket, a snack and we go to the park or the lake.
In our last article, we talked about a new challenge in which we completely boycott single-use plastic. Today we will continue this topic by offering you some simple tips so that all your summer expeditions, large and small, take place in a zero waste spirit.
Because none of us want to put a blanket on a pile of plastic cups, sunbathe by a lake where there are plastic cutlery instead of fish, or where disposable bags imitate kites.
How to prepare a zero-waste picnic?
Whether you’re planning a barbecue or just an outdoor getaway, it’s important to be well prepared. We encourage you to remember a few things:
- A picnic is a great opportunity to end what’s left in the fridge. We usually take all the leftovers from lunch or dinner with us, but it’s also an opportunity to be creative by making salads from what’s available, without having to do any more shopping.
- We choose snacks that can be consumed without utensils – pieces of fresh fruits and vegetables, sandwiches, cakes… This way, our backpack or basket is a little lighter. And if you can’t manage without a fork or knife, we recommend the steel and foldable models.
- We put the food in reusable boxes. Our absolute favorite is the lunch box from Mon Bento. It is perfect not only for picnics but also for lunch at work or university. This handy lunch box has many advantages – it is practical, well designed, beautiful and hermetic. In addition, it can be put in the microwave or freezer and washed in the dishwasher. It is made from PBT, a high-quality plastic renowned for its strength. And as if that wasn’t enough, for every lunch box we receive a free warranty extension, i.e. a 3-year warranty in total.
- Don’t forget to drink water, especially if it’s hot and during a long bike ride. We take the drinks in our own glass, steel or thermos bottles. It’s good to know that in parks there are many water faucets, so we don’t have to worry about the water supply.
- It is worth taking a mug if you want to drink tea or coffee. We particularly recommend stainless steel ones, as there is no risk of damage.
- If you bring children for a picnic, don’t forget the steel or bamboo straws.
- We avoid paper towels, we just take clean kitchen towels or cotton wipes.
- If you want to buy a set of cutlery and plates that you will take with you for a picnic or a garden party, we recommend you to go to the flea market or a secondhand sale.
- If you have to shop before a picnic, choose stores that offer bulk food products.
As you can see, it is possible to have fun on a picnic with no waste. And if you’re a fan of Mon Bento‘s lunch box, we have some good news. With the architectoftime10 promo code, you get a 10% discount on the Mon Beto website! Hurry, the code is valid until the end of the month.