Do you know the term “locavorism”? Indeed, it is about of consuming only local and seasonal fruits and vegetables in order to contribute to sustainable development. In France it’s becoming more and more popular. So I’ve decided to try it out! Instead of buying my fruits and vegetables at the supermarket, I go to pick it directly from the farm The Champlain Orchards, not far from Paris. And be careful, it is not just about new trend but it has real benefits!
The Advantages of buying local and seasonal
Buying local allows you to:
- Eat tasty food as they are fresh and seasonal. They have to be picked at the right moment and be enough grown to not only taste but also be full of vitamins.
- Follow your nutritional needs of the moment. In summer we eat fruits that contain a lot of water. Whereas in winter, we should chose vegetables rich in carbohydrates and calories in favor to keep our body warm
- Encourage life of community, support local farmers and peasants
- Allow food to remain fresh for longer, knowing that food is not transported over a long distance or stored for days
- Limit the waste – fruits and vegetables can be purchased without any packaging
- Reduce food waste of food, since it doesn’t support the long transport and often finish in the rubbish
Where to buy local?
Buying local does not mean only picking at the farm. Farmers can be found in markets,or in small local shops. But I assure you that i’s real fun to go to the farm to pick up fruits and vegetables, walk with the wheelbarrow and enjoy the fresh air with family and friends.